Sunday, May 29, 2011

Who do we thank? Who do we praise?


As I was talking with my grandpa on the phone about how he waited 4 hours in the emergency room with his friend, I had this thought...

As I watched a small boy help his father collect cans for money as I left my house this morning, I had this same thought...

And, one more time, as I saw a little girl take her brother by the hand to go home after we played soccer in the park, I thought:

Why does society value people like me, who give up a week or a summer to do a little good for an abstract neighbor but refuse to see the daily sacrifices that people make for their friends, their parents, their neighborhood? Shouldn't we value so much more the "help" that is based in relationships and consistency than that which is a response to wealth gaps?

Entre Nos is a film that reminds me of this theme. See the trailer here.

1 comment: