Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Los Angeles: Capital of the Third World

For 3 months, I'll be living in South LA, working with the organization CSM.

Before arriving, I read one of the books recommended to me:

One aftertaste I'd like to share, although not even directly related to the book's thesis, is the following quotation:

"Cowboys don't ride busses".

That is, as Rieff explains, "the promise of the automobile was not transportation so much as solitude and independence, two ideas that dance in lockstep across the stage of the American imagination."

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about driving. Particularly my driving habits. And how they're out of control. And how some of this out-of-controlness might inhibit me from having the relationships I'm meant to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment