Sunday, May 22, 2011


Founded by Spanish governor, Felipe de Neve, in 1781, Los Angles was part of México from 1821 to 1848, when it was purchased an later annexed by the United States.

As I spend three months in this paradoxical city, I aim to wade through issues that are way too big for me. Maybe I'll theorize as to why there exists so much anti-immigrant sentiment, and maybe I'll ignore the issue entirely. Maybe I'll enter into discussion of the complex issues facing inner city kids, and make observations that only someone who knows nothing can make. I tend to think that sometimes an outsider, a neophyte like me can be a useful tool because she has not yet (consciously) subscribed to a theory, and can therefore still risk stating the obvious.

And if my musings yield not a single clear thought, then that means I've been a good traveller, because traveling, and maybe even living, rarely elucidates, but mostly clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment